Written by: Paula Limbaugh
Father- “A man who exercises paternal care over other persons; paternal protector or provider.” That’s what the dictionary says a dad is, but sometimes things go wrong.
1. The Shining (1980): Jack Nicholson- Shelley Duvall- Danny Lloyd. Let’s start with the obvious, Jack Torrance. Jack a former school teacher decides to take on a winter job as a caretaker for the Overlook Hotel, sounds fun, right? So he packs up his wife, Wendy and son, Danny and away they go to start a new life. But this hotel has a violent past and soon this past begins to seep into Jack’s soul. Snowbound and nowhere to go, Wendy and Danny find themselves battling Jack as he begins his descent into madness with deadly intent.
2. Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991): Robert Englund-Lisa Zane. Who knew, Freddy has a daughter! In the sixth film of the Nightmare on Elm Street series, we find Freddy has killed all the kids in Springwood and is now looking for a new hunting ground. Dr. Maggie Burroughs was adopted as a child, she never knew her real parents, but that is soon to change. When it comes to light that Freddy has a child, Maggie finds her adoption papers and learns the bitter truth. Daddy killed mommy and now daddy must die; an epic battle begins pitting father against daughter.
3. The Devil’s Rejects (2005): Sid Haig-Bill Moseley-Sheri Moon Zombie. Wow! How cool would it be to have a clown for a dad! Poor Baby and Otis, their house was under siege by the police, mama got arrested and they barely escaped with their lives. With nowhere to turn they call Capt. Spaulding a.k.a. Dad. With the Capt. their murderous rampage continues, but alas the fun has to end sometime.
4. Frailty (2001): Bill Paxton-Matthew McConaughey-Powers Boothe. After the loss of his wife, Dad has been raising his sons Fenton and Adam alone. Things seem to be going okay until one night Dad receives a message from God; he’s been chosen to rid the world of demons. What better way to bond than teaching your sons to hunt. Methinks daddy has lost his mind!
5. Raising Cain (1992): John Lithgow-Lolita Davidovich-Steven Bauer. Ooh, the sins of the father are visited upon the son. Remember this one? Lithgow portrays both Dr. Carter Nix Jr. and Sr. Junior was abused by his dad with mind control experiments as a child which has left him fractured. Suffering from multiple personalities, he too becomes an abuser. While one side of Carter’s personality wants to protect his daughter, the other wants to subject her to the same abuse he endured. These are two twisted dads!
6. Rosemary’s Baby (1968): Mia Farrow-John Cassavetes-Ruth Gordon. Hmm…what could be worse finding out the child you just gave birth to is Satan’s son or finding out your husband allowed Satan to impregnate you? I think you can figure out for yourself want kind of dad he’ll be!
7. The Stepfather (1987): Terry O’Quinn-Jill Schoelen-Shelley Hack. Now here’s a good dad. Jerry Blake is looking for the perfect family. Marrying single moms with kids, he hopes to settle into an idyllic family life. So far, he hasn’t had much luck. When things don’t work out, he just disposes of them and moves on to next lucky woman. And I always thought it was the wicked stepmother to fear!
8. 28 Weeks Later (2008): Robert Carlyle-Rose Byrne-Jeremy Renner. Now here’s a good dad. When the rage virus hits England Don’s children are in Spain on holiday. Don and his wife are in hiding when the infected find them, rather than fight to save his wife; he runs off and leaves her for dead. 28 weeks later things are under control and Don is reunited with the kids. The kids later find their mom alive; turns out she’s immune to the virus but is still a carrier of it. Dad kisses mom, dad becomes infected. And so begins a new wave of the virus. Don ends up attacking his own son and biting him before he is shot down.